Your student card also acts as your library card.
You can use it to borrow up to 10 items at any one time.
You are responsible for any item that is borrowed on your card.
You can renew the books you have borrowed in one of three ways:
– Online through your library account
– Contacting us via email or phone
– At the library helpdesk
If you would like to borrow a book that is already on loan, you can request it through a reservation, either online through your library account or if you are in the library, at the helpdesk.
– Most items can be borrowed for up to 2 weeks, and can be renewed up to 6 times
– ‘7 day loan’ books are available for 7 days and usually include high demand books
– ‘Library use only’ books are usually reference copies that cannot be loaned
- Library Catalogue
Go to the Library Catalogue to access these resources:
– Search for resources in the Library catalogue
– Log in to check your library account, renew and request items online
– eBook collections – many popular text books are available as eBooks
– Electronic resources – online materials to support course work
– Journals – access full text online journal, magazine and newspaper articles
– Links to induction and study information
The catalogue can be accessed both inside and outside college. You need your
username and password to access some resources.
We have over 800 e-books within the library catalogue which you can access and read online or download. This is useful as there are no late fines for using an eBook and several users may be able to access it at the same time. There is a separate guide to accessing eBooks available on the Guides section of the website.
- Online Resources
Online Resources are a valuable source of quality information for your college course on the web and are available through a Discovery search or the library catalogue. Online resources may be a collection of journals and other quality information useful for research and study.
The Online Resources Guide is available on this website in the Guides section. Please ask a member of staff if you need any help with accessing electronic resources.
- Printing and Photocopying
We have a printer/scanner/photocopier in the main library.
You will need your student card to access your printing.
At the beginning of each term, you will receive £5 print credit, giving you £15 for the year.
Printing costs are:
– 5p per sheet (1 or 2 sides) of A4 black and white
– 16p per side of A4 colour
– 32p per side of A3 colour
You can buy more print credit at the library helpdesk.
- Help with Study Skills
If you would like to develop your study skills such as researching, reading and note making, how to reference or improving your presentation skills, we can help. Hannah Wood will be running a variety of workshops and drop-in sessions in our new study skills room to help you make the most out of the library resources and to help build your confidence with completing assignments. Your tutor will be able to book sessions for groups and we will advertise drop in sessions in the library.
Workshops will include:
– Finding good quality information online
– How to use the college online services to search effectively for information and materials
– Introduction to academic writing and critical thinking
– Reading and note making preparing your assignment
– Writing a Literature Review
– Understanding what plagiarism is and how to avoid it
– How to Reference correctly
– Improving your Presentation Skills
– Preparing for your Exam
If you would like further information or would like to suggest a workshop please speak to Hannah in the library.